ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

Comments about proposed .mail TLD

  • To: <stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments about proposed .mail TLD
  • From: "Brandon Devnich" <bdevnich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:41:37 -0700

I may be writing this to fall on "deaf ears", however this apparently is the
'comments' inbox for the .mail TLD public comments.  This is an email I have
also forwarded off to www.spamhaus.org

It is a bit winded, but I would appreciate it if the time is taken to read
my ramble.

At this point I am in protest to the proposed .mail TLD application based on
my comments below.

Many Thanks,
Brandon Devnich
Administrator
i3dthemes.com

--------------------

I recently have been reading up on the proposed .mail TLD and found the
following from your "General Questions" to be peculiar:

************
9) What does a domain cost and why?
 The use of each domain will cost over US$2000. The price may vary depending
on the registrar one uses.

This high cost will insure that most spammers will not bother and attempt to
sign up for one, and if they do, it will be a high cost for what will be a
very short time period of spamming.

The cost also pays for the much greater than normal vetting procedures
places requesting this domain will go though before one is granted to them.
************

I have little faith in your .mail TLD if it were to use this $2000 domain
license fee.  I believe the .mail TLD has merit, but without the fee.  A few
questions and comments on this:

Where did this seemingly arbitrary number of US$2000 come from?  Is this
what it would take to "fund" some mystery "slush fund" ??? $2000 * (500
companies) = a million USD !!  Seriously, is it going to cost you that much
to get this .mail TLD approved?  And then what for the subsequent millions
produced by such a fee?  Or are you expecting that only a few hundred
companies can afford such a system.. and then "to hell" with the rest of the
responsible companies who cannot afford such a fee?

Quite serious, most small businesses who rely on sending mail through their
existing .net/.com email addresses could not afford to pay this $2000!

And where has your research come up with the "very short time of spamming"?
What do you mean "high cost for spammers", how do you know what the
"budgets" of spammers are?  So you're saying that this "authenticated"
system of having yourwebsite.com.mail is NOT guaranteed to prevent spammers?
So then what is the point in subscribing to such a system?

Why not jack up the price to $50000 USD, that would surely stop the
spammers.  Still, us small businesses who use the system responsibly should
not be penalized an outrageous fee of $2000 to have their email marked as
"quite likely not spam".

This really just sounds like a way to generate income guised as in
altruistic motives.. but without thought for the vast majority of small
businesses who use the net responsibly.  Having such a "fee" is like
charging the average person $2000 for the right to send a piece of
traditional POSTAL mail because there are junkmail companies out there who
abuse the system as well.. oh hold on, they PAY for it as well.

Maybe you should think about something a bit more intelligent like the
"billing the sender" solution which has been proposed.

How about actually having someone's authenticated credit information on hand
for the '.mail' TLD and bill them if they are caught spamming?  It makes
more sense to punish AFTER the case than before.  You know, most of the
civilized world works on the premise "innocent until proven guilty".  In
addition, this income redeemed by such a system should not be used by a
private company, but rather turned back into the system so that the internet
as a community can benefit from billing the spammers.

There are better ways than promoting a $2000 domain license fee to
counteract spam.

Regards,

Brandon Devnich
Administrator