ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

.mail domain implementation is seriously flawed

  • To: <stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .mail domain implementation is seriously flawed
  • From: "Roy Leban" <royleban@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:18:27 -0700

I applaud the effor for technical solutions to help combat spam. But, there
are lots of problems with this proposal. According to Matt from Spamhaus
(quoted in http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4694684/) "And when the system
reached critical mass, e-mail users could largely ignore most e-mail that
came from .com and .net domains.

At $2000 per domain, this would mean that almost all small businesses and
individuals who own domains would be prevented from sending mail. I own or
administer four domains. I don't (and will never) have a spare $8000 to
register the .mail domains. Even with discounts, this means that the vast
majority of domains will never get .mail domains to go with them.

The six-month registration delay is a horrible idea. I'm starting a business
tomorrow, but I can't send email to my customers for six months?! Or I have
to jump through complicated verification hoops? This is an onerous
restriction on worldwide email.

The verification of sending mail servers has significant problems. As an
example, all my machines, including my mail server, share a single IP
address. But, the mail server for one of my domains is currently hosted
elsewhere. When I send mail from that email account, some anti-spam software
pings me back, finds my mail server (which doesn't serve that domain) and
concludes that it's spam. Simply put, verification is a nightmare.

Finally, essentially putting all worldwide email under the control of a
single organization, even a non-profit one, is pretty scary.

If ICANN adopts this proposal, I am sure it will be rejected by net users as
a whole. Only the users of AOL, Earthlink, etc., who have no control of
their own will see any effect and they'll all be mad that legitimate mail is
being lost.

If email is outlawed, only spammers will have email.

Please go back to the drawing board.

Roy Leban