ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

.mail fails the basic theoretical test for anti-spam

  • To: stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .mail fails the basic theoretical test for anti-spam
  • From: AccuSpam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:53:47 +0800

We have a theory that ANY anti-spam is successful only to the extent it
increases costs on the spammers more than the aggregate increase cost on the
community for legitimate email.

The theory can be stated another way, which is that spam is driven by the
economic return on unsolicited bulk email.

As I understand the .mail proposal, it requires ALL recipients to incur a new
cost for a very small number of senders.  The new cost is to implement filters
(either human or automated) which treat .mail as less spammy.  However, the
senders who use .mail which also be a small percentage of all senders forever,
because for example, there is no way that a major ISP can make it's .mail
domain available to it's customers unless the ISP can guarantee all of it's
customers will NEVER send spam.  This is of course an impossible proposition
for an ISP.

Besides, anti-forgery detection can already be done using "reverse DNS".  The
.mail proposal will not change the fact that many senders do not always send
from the relay mail server of their domain.  At best, .mail servers as a way
for some corporate email which is sent in very strict manner (from relay mail
server of domain) can be filtered different.  But again I repeat, this requires
a new cost on every recipient for a very small percentage of senders.

And this proposal does nothing to add cost to the spammer.

This proposal is a specialized way for some corporate senders to get their
email past spam filters.

Besides there is a better way to handle anti-forgery, which meets the
theoretical test for anti-spam above.  Watch for an announcement.

Thanks,
Shelby Moore
AccuSpam.com