Beware of Creating a Monopoly
The .mobi proposal is merely an attempt by a select few group of powerhouse companies to gain control and dominate the mobile industry. The Sponsoring Organization's RFP application raises numerous concerns, including:
- the Sponsoring Orangization's structure is like that of a closely-held corporation with subcommittees such as a Membership Advisory Group and a Policy Advisory Group wherein the PAG's function is illusory in nature since its members are completely selected by the MAG which is only open to commercial interests who fit within the Mobi Jv's self-serving criteria.
- the administration and management of the registration operations by the Sponsors themselves clearly will result in a process filled with bias, and preferential treatment offered to those registrants whose agenda is in line with that of the Sponsors.
- the Founders, through its puppetry Boad of Directors, plan to have ultimate control with regards to policies for the .mobi domain. The proposed policy-making process is akin to a judicial-like system where the judge (here, the Founders) gets the last word and makes the final decision on matters.
- the proposed Sunrise process with regards to the registration of a .mTLD is deficient and will have a harmful affect on registrants who wish to register a legimately owned domain name but due to reasons such as lack of monetary funds was not able to obtain a registered trademark. For instance, just in the U.S.A. alone many small small businesses end up waiting to register a trademark due to the high cost of registering a trademark.
- the fact that the Mobi JV would actually hold in reserve certain domain names and put those names up for sale through an auction is clearly a process loaded with profit-seeking motives that will have an end result of blowing the small business completely out of the waters.
- there is a lack of community representation on the Mobi JV Board and the nerve of them to want to assign top level domain names only to big commercial interests --- most likely businesses that one of the Founders have an interest in.
I plead with ICANN to continue to preserve the internet as a model of freedom, equality, and creativity. Don't let a couple of companies obtain a legal monopoly and crush the spirit of freedom. The recent decision made by the European Union to penalize MicroSoft for monopolistic practices is a sentiment that rings all over the World and that is that people everywhere are sick and tired of a select few trying to monopolize and dominate the World.
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢