ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mobi]

[no subject]

  • To: <stld-rfp-mobi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject:
  • From: <RZFontelera@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:08:07 +0800

May 14, 2004

Dear ICANN Leadership,

Smart Communications is the Philippine’s leading wireless service provider with over 14 million subscribers using its GSM network as of March 2004. A subsidiary of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT), Smart has been at the forefront in the development of wireless data services in the country. We have twice been given innovation awards by the GSM Association for introducing world-first products in the fields of mobile commerce and mobile value-added services.

Smart is a founding member of the Asian Mobility Initiative which is composed of seven Asian mobile operators with a subscriber base of over 26 million in the Asia-Pacific region. AMI was set up in April 2003 to enable operators to cooperate in developing mobile services that would enhance the mobile data experience of their subscribers while roaming in each others’ areas.

Because of our intense and continuing interest in the field of mobile services, we have been engaged in the mTLD initiative and reviewed the ICANN process to allocate a mobile Top Level Domain (TLD). Smart strongly supports initiatives for the allocation of the .mobile TLD and wishes to work actively with the mTLD organization and its representatives and partners to achieve a mobile-specific domain name grant, available for use by all industry players, to the benefit of the Internet and the mobile industry.

Should you have any questions, please call me directly.

Sincerely,

Napoleon L. Nazareno

President and CEO

Smart Communications, Inc.