ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-post]

UPDATE: comments on [.POST]

  • To: <stld-rfp-post@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: UPDATE: comments on [.POST]
  • From: "Gagan Patnaik" <gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:01:40 -0700

I reiterate our strong opposition to any approval of
[.post] sponsored-TLD in it's present form. The
sponsoring organization has proposed activities that
extend beyond the limited purpose of a sponsored TLD.
One of the extended activities include, specifically,
location-based domain name creation using three-letter
country codes (e.g., 'usa', 'fra', 'can') and tacking
[.post]. This significantly affects two-letter country
code (ccTLD) based applications already underway. For
example, locality based address creation and their
purpose, as discussed in the "Universal Address
Management" section of the proposal, misappropriates the
ideas that we have created and based on which we have
been building our service infrastructure over more than
the past two years. For example, see:
http://8730-Costa-Verde-Blvd-Apt-2423.San-Diego-CA.US/.
There are other examples contained in the proposal that
directly lifts others' proposed and ongoing work. I
welcome representatives from ICANN or the sponsoring
organization (UPU) to contact me for further
clarification as the process of evaluation moves
forward.

To update my earlier comments ( listed below) on the
proposed [.post] sTLD, I would like to add that the lack
of (Internet) innovation in the postal monopolies, at
least in the USPS case, is to a large extent a result of
their dependence on some inefficient and revolving-door
government contractors.

Gagan Patnaik
gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx