ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-tel-pulver]

Careful evaluation needed: .tel

  • To: stld-rfp-tel-pulver@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Careful evaluation needed: .tel
  • From: Koki Higashida <higashida@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:42:19 +0900

Stance of JPRS

As the sponsoring organization and DNS operator for .jp top-level
domain, JPRS exercises technical and operational leadership in
management and administration of the domain.  Also, JPRS believes that
it has a role in preventing confusion or trouble on the Internet.

JPRS submits the following comment as a result of study of each
application from the aforementioned standpoint.  We expect ICANN's
serious consideration of our comment.

Introduction of new TLDs may result in addition of new value and
interest for the Internet community; on the other hand, it may result
in unnecessary confusion and disbenefit of the community.  Therefore,
decision to introduce any of the proposed TLDs must be made based on
the thorough evaluation of the seven TLDs introduced in 2000.

Careful evaluation needed: .tel

We regard that this proposal is based on the idea based on ENUM with
respect to matching domain name space and telephone number space.

As for ENUM, IAB, ITU, government authority and other related entities
are studying this issue seriously.
We desire that ICANN evaluates this proposal carefully, not to
complicate the already difficult issue.

In addition, as the matching of domain name and telephone number is
very important issue, we hope that investigation of the ENUM matters
should be made thoroughly enough to resolve remaining challenges.

Sincerely,

Koki Higashida
President, Japan Registry Service Co., Ltd. (JPRS)