ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-travel]

Re: Re: New.Net Campaigning to Fill ICANN Comment Board

  • To: stld-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: New.Net Campaigning to Fill ICANN Comment Board
  • From: Kevin Prescott <kevinprescott45@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:34:52 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: stld-rfp-travel@xxxxxxxxx

So, let me get this straight.  If:

a)  I get the money together to start an Alternate Registry
b)  Ignore the rules established by ICANN
c)  Take advantage of the ICANN's slow process in approving new TLDs
d)  Mislead consumers into believing they are registering a second level domain when they are actually registering a fourth level name (ala New.Net)

I can be rewarded by having ICANN not approve another Registry's application for my TLD even if I have been playing by the rules (regardless of whether or not I agree with the rules).

We cannot reward those that play outside the rules.  I am truly sorry for all of the registrants that bought a .travel.new.net.  But I believe they were all mislead by New.net into believing they bought s second level name, when in fact, they got a fourth level (with a plug-in that tricked the browser into believing it was a second level registration).  The truth is, that even if a .travel sTLD is approved, New.Net registrants will still own their names at the fourth level.  No one can take that away.

If I were a new.net registrant, I would be more concerned with notifying the FTC about New.net's activities than with a legitimate .travel sTLD application.  In addition, if new.net wanted to run a legitimate .travel, why did they not apply for an sTLD in this round?  If they were truly interested in protecting the travel industry, don't you think they could have spent the money to even apply?

The truth is that New.net does not represent the Travel community.  They do not even represent you, their registrants.  They represent New.net.

Just my personal opinion.

Kevin

Do you Yahoo!?