ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

It's about time!

  • To: <stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: It's about time!
  • From: "Josh Randels" <Josh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:34:37 -0500

The .xxx domain is definitely a good thing.  However, for there to be any benefit to society, the government must regulate that all adult sites be removed from the other domains and placed in the .xxx domain.  This would not hurt the .xxx domains in any way (baring very minimal fees to purchase the new domains).  As a business, their goal is to make money off adult consumers who would still have the same easy access to these adult sites.  In fact, if anything I would see this creating more legitimate business for adult sites as it would provide a larger number of domain names for them to register.

At the same time, this is a good move for our children.  If I can put a filter on the school library that simply blocks all .xxx sites, that will save time and money for the schools.  The schools would no longer have to purchase special software in order to filter this information out, and they would be able to filter a greater amount of adult content.  As long as government is willing to step in and enforce this policy, this is a good idea for everyone.