ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

Re: Why .XXX is probably a bad idea

  • To: <stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Why .XXX is probably a bad idea
  • From: "Aaron D. Sanders" <adsanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:07:11 -0400

Daniel,

I agree with the thought that the definition of pornography is difficult (possibly impossible) to agree upon given the global nature of the Internet. "Pornography", "Age of Consent" and many other terms very by definition between cultural borders. However, the key point in supporting the .xxx is not to filter by definition, but by content. Yes, it is true that what some people consider art others consider pornography. That is whole debate unto itself. The .xxx TLD should not attempt to solve that dilemma. What the .xxx TLD does attempt to do is better organize and protect content. It does not matter if you call a nude photo "art" or "pornography", it still should not be viewable in most (or all) K-12 school settings. This is the problem that the .xxx TLD attempts to solve. If a photo, piece of artwork, etc. contains nudity, then it should exist in the .xxx TLD. The actual term definitions and specific content filtering should be left to each individual, organization and country. I agree that this is a difficult situation and the .xxx TLD is only part of the whole picture, but it is worth a legitimate attempt. We have nothing to lose at this point.

Aaron

Aaron D. Sanders
A+   Network+   MCP Windows 98
Second year student in the Master of Science in Information Technology program at Rochester Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems - Clarion University of Pennsylvania
PGP Public Key available from http://www.adsanders.net
Professional Web Site: http://www.adsanders.net