ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

.xxx lets those who want adult content find it; and those who don't steer clear

  • To: <stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .xxx lets those who want adult content find it; and those who don't steer clear
  • From: "Robin Raskin" <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 06:58:35 -0400

Up until now, we’ve let the emotional component surrounding pornographic content cloud many of the solutions to the issue.  It seems like an xxx solution could help consenting adults identify, seek out and enjoy pornographic content, at the same time it lets child advocates and adults who chose not to see this content steer clear.

 Identification, in this case, through an .XXX tld, can bring openness and transparency to what has been called “the dark side of the Internet”. The corollaries in the physical world exist as well.  Red light districts in the real world have been identified, and somewhat naturally contained, for years.  And, in the early 80’s parents who didn’t want adult magazines sold at kids –eye level at the supermarket checkout stand, lobbied for them to be belly-banded  and ghettoized.  The result?  Those who wanted them knew where to find them, those who didn’t weren’t forced to confront them each time they wanted a container of milk.  While we’ve learned that there is no single silver bullet that’s going to solve the problems of the Internet, we’ve also learned that giving people as much information about the type of content they’re seeing or choosing not to see can only be a good thing.

Robin Raskin

Former Editor in Chief, FamilyPC Magazine,

Technology Consultant

Editor of Family Circle’s Raising Teens and Tweens,