ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

Registration of .xxx tld

  • To: stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Registration of .xxx tld
  • From: Vickram Crishna <vvcrishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 17:35:26 +0530
  • Cc: Parry@xxxxxxxxx

To Whom it May Concern:

I am Vickram Crishna, ceo of Net Radiophony India Pvt Ltd. We focus largely on building communication technology solutions for the underprivileged, particularly in India, and also as we see applicable in other developing countries.

I particularly am involved in child/privacy protection issues related to the Internet and understand that an application for ICANN to establish a .xxx TLD has been recently made.

While it would be inappropriate for me to endorse a particular applicant, I believe that a .xxx registry could help protect children from inadvertent exposure to graphic sexual content, reduce the amount of child pornography, virtual child pornography and promotion of child pornography online. In addition, with control of sexually-graphic unsolicited messaging and improved assurance of responsible privacy and security practices for the personal data they collect and maintain on site visitors and subscribers, the entire Internet community, of all ages, shall be better protected. This will come about provided that the registrar adopts terms of service governing the practices of .xxx domain holders.

A voluntary .xxx registry allows the sometimes competing interests of child and privacy protection and free speech/civil rights to exist to the advantage of all. It doesn't trade off the rights of consenting adults to view legal content against the rights of children to avoid receiving sexually-explicit images and content when they are sending or receiving e-mails, instant messaging and surfing for child-appropriate sites. It also allows those who provide their credit card information to adult sites to know that information is protected in the same manner as it would have been at any e-commerce site. With the right education and marketing, we expect that consumers would prefer to entrust their personal data and financial information to a site which has agreed to be governed by reasonable e-commerce best practices. The demand for more responsible adult providers will create an incentive for sites to step up to better commercial and privacy practices by registering a .xxx domain.

I understand that this letter of support for a .xxx TLD may accompany the application. If ICANN or others in the application process have any questions about the reasons for my/our support, I am willing to address them.

Thank you.

Very truly yours,

--
Vickram Crishna