ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stratplan-revision]

Comments

  • To: <stratplan-revision@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments
  • From: "Christopher Ambler" <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:43:14 -0700

I read with interest the latest iteration of ICANN's strategic plan. It
seems to me that we have been talking about creating a plan for more
competition in the gTLD space for the past five years (if not longer) with
little progress at all. Those applicants in 2000 who paid $50,000 each to be
considered, and have, to date, not been turned down (but were, instead, told
that they were simply "not selected in the first round" and would be
addressed in subsequent rounds) continue to wait to compete.

Image Online Design has been waiting for over TEN YEARS to compete with its
.Web registry, and continues to wait.

The time is well past for the introduction of measured yet complete
competition in the gTLD space. Applicants still pending from 2000 should be
asked if they still intend to run a registry and then immediately progress
through the steps of insuring technical compliance with minimum standards,
stability, and contract negotiation, and then entered into the root servers
to compete in the marketplace. Those applicants still intending to move
forward should be allowed to do so immediately, while new applicants should
then be invited to complete the process as well. Clearly, market forces will
determine the need and demand for new gTLDs, with no instability or risk
should that demand not materialize. On the other hand, if, as we believe,
there remains demand, a vibrant marketplace will thrive and the revenue
generated will further fund the goals of ICANN. An open and robust
free-competing market for gTLDs is a benefit to all.

Five years of experience has shown that there is no technical reason for the
barriers to entry in this market to exist. Five years of experience has
shown that the problems experienced in the "proof of concept" phase were,
without exception, lacking any impact on the stability of the Internet.
Those business lessons have been learned, and it is time to move on without
further delay.

As has been the case since 1995, Image Online Design remains ready, willing
and quite able to compete with its .Web registry and continues to intend to
do so. If there is ANY way in which we may be of assistance in moving this
process forward, please do not hesitate to ask.

Christopher Ambler