ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stratplan-revision]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

A@L stratplan review

  • To: stratplan-revision@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A@L stratplan review
  • From: RJGlass <jipshida@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:42:04 -0700 (PDT)

It looks as progress is being made in the continuing
development of the internal architecture.  While I
think the strategic plan is well rounded and on it's
face supports ICANN's by-laws, I have three general
comments.

1) For the amount of labor you have on-hand, even
through the assistance of other organizations, it
seems there is an ongoing case of 'biting off more
than you can chew.' (see comment 3).

2) There has been talk amongst the community of ICANN
imposing a 'tax'.  The funding for ICANN, and if you
consider projected growth of the market, seems
marginally adequate.  However, I would strongly
suggest redefining rates with registrars and registry
fees rather than passing on costs to the domain owners
and over-regulating.  Just as in government, there is
never enough money to do everything, so fiscal
responsibility must at some point be exercised.

3) The strategic plan mentions the ALAC and RALO
structures playing a part in the organization.
However, the organization I represent has been waiting
for 1 year for certification as an at-large structure.
 We were told a decision would take 3 months, and then
ICANN had to find people to fill billets, and so-on.
 So, a year after submitting our application package,
we still wait patiently.  I wonder if it was just a
case of taking too big of a bite.

The point is, that proposals and strategic plans are
wonderful on their face, but the organization needs to
strive to back it up with their actions.

I would like to close by also suggesting (again) to
hold off on introducing new TLDs.  There is no rea
reason to introduce new TLDs in the first place, and
doing so exponentially increases the difficulties in
properly managing this architecture and legal
foundations.  There's plenty of time ahead, don't do
what can't be undone before the need is clear.

Cordially submitted,

Randy Glass
Executive Director
AmericaAtLarge.org

Domain name services
http://www.Psyberdomain.com

Help the needy
http://www.DDMF.org

Help yourself
http://www.AmericaAtLarge.org

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index