ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[string-similarity-amendment]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Comment on GNSO Resolution (as opposed to draft letter)

  • To: "string-similarity-amendment@xxxxxxxxx" <string-similarity-amendment@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on GNSO Resolution (as opposed to draft letter)
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:15:13 -0400

All,

This comment is being submitted in my personal capacity and not on behalf of my
employer, Neustar, Inc., or the Registries Stakeholder Group.  In addition, my
comment is not on the draft letter itself, as those comments, if any, will be
submitted through the RySG, but rather relates to the resolution passed by the
GNSO Council requesting that the letter go out for public comment.

More specifically, at the last minute, and without any discussion by the
community, the GNSO Council included the following language:

"FURTHER RESOLVED, that this motion shall not serve as a precedent requiring
the GNSO Council to adhere to a public comment period requirement for any
future GNSO Council letters."

Not only has no explanation been given for this last minute addition, but I
believe the statement is fundamentally flawed on a number of different levels.
It is not the GNSO Council's role to decide what does and does not go out for
public comment when it relates to policy (as this letter clearly does).  That
role should be specifically reserved for the GNSO community.  The GNSO
Council's authority, as documented in the Bylaws, is generated from the people
and communities in which it serves.  This has been said over and over again,
but the Council is NOT a legislature that has the right to make proclamations,
policy decisions, etc., without having to go back to the GNSO community. This
is supposed to be a bottom-up organization where policy is developed through
individuals, working groups, experts, etc. and then brought to the Council for
it to manage, not the other way around.  To the extent that any "letters" are
submitted by the Council to any external party, and those letters relate to
policy, then yes they do need to go out for community input.  If they merely
relate to administrative of true coordination matters, then they do not need to
go out for comment.

As one of the main catalysts for getting this letter out for public comment, I
thank the Council for doing the right thing and posting this for comment.  It
is what should happen with ALL letters that relate to policy.  I am not sure
why the GNSO Council felt it was necessary to include this "further
resolution", but to the extent that it reflects the presumption that Council
does not have to go back to the community when it issues letters relating to
policy, I ask that the resolution be stricken from the record.  I ask that this
issue be considered by the appropriate GNSO Improvements team and am also
submitting this separately to the Accountability and Review team for its
consideration.  I would also ask that this be discussed at the Council meeting
in Brussels and would be happy to personally address during that meeting.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
46000 Center Oak Plaza Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.5772  Mobile: +1.202.549.5079  Fax: +1.703.738.7965 /
jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx>  /
www.neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz/>
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>