ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tel-tld-agreement]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Comments on proposed .TEL TLD

• To: tel-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on proposed .TEL TLD
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:48:23 -0400

I have a couple comments in opposition to the proposed ".tel" top-level domain:

1. The proposed top-level domain could cause confusion versus the "tel://"; URL scheme described in RFC 2806.

2. The proposed community is even less specific than the existing ".com" and ".org" top-level domains. Basically, any person or organization in the world could ask for a name, with consequent high likelihood of name collisions and confusion.

I am unaware of any reason why the NAPTR records described in RFC 2915 couldn't be kept in domains under established hierarchies.

Finally, it would make some sense to use ".tel" for organizations that provide voice telephone service, in the manner of ".muse" and ".aero"; but most such organizations already own domain-names under ".net", ".com" and/or their respective country-code domains. The most appropriate body to run such domain-name (although I do not believe that is what Telnic wants to do) would be the ITU, http://www.itu.int , if they were willing to do so.

--
David Lee Lambert <as4109@xxxxxxxxx> cell ph# 586-873-8813
M.A. candidate, Bioinformatics lab, Wayne State University
Areas of interest: databases (SQL,XML); AI; security; HCI Read my advisor's book: _Data Analysis Tools for Microarrays_ (CRC,2003)

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy