ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[telnic-whois-proposal]

I support Telnic's proposed amendment

  • To: telnic-whois-proposal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I support Telnic's proposed amendment
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:39:50 +0100

Speaking as an individual concerned with personal privacy and compliance
with the laws of jurisdictions outside the United States, I support
Telnic's proposed amendment to permit individuals to opt-out of WHOIS
disclosure.

ICANN's contractual regime should not be implemented to force
participants to locate in the United States, or to limit individuals in
all jurisdictions to the minimal privacy available in the U.S.  Rather,
pursuant to the adopted policy on compliance with national law,
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/council-rpt-18jan06.htm>,
Telnic's solution is an appropriate accommodation among the relevant
interests.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visiting Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute