ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tm-clear-15feb10]

Not all gTLD registries need Sunrise and Trademark clearing

  • To: <tm-clear-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Not all gTLD registries need Sunrise and Trademark clearing
  • From: "Top Level Domain Consulting" <info@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:55:38 +0100

Hello,

in general Top Level Domain Consulting (TLDC) supports the idea of having a
Trademark Clearinghouse.

However, as TLDC especially promotes database driven Top Level Domains,

Where the TLD equals the database name and the records the domains.

Think about .isbn , there is neither a need for sunrise nor a need for
trademarks as the set of domains is determined by the organization which
governs the database.

Therefore I am not really that happy with the formulation of

6. Mandatory Pre‐Launch Use of the Trademark Clearinghouse

7. Protection for Trademarks in the Trademark Clearinghouse and

8. Sunrise Registration Process

The database driven gTLD registries which I consult have no plans to become
customers of a trademark clearinghouse.

With kind regards

Matthias Jungbauer

Top Level Domain Consulting