ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tm-clear-15feb10]

TM Clearinghouse Comments

  • To: tm-clear-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: TM Clearinghouse Comments
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:17:21 -0400

I would like to extend my support for the proposed Trademark Clearinghouse (TC)
proposal with some minor modifications.  The TC would provide for a central
database that could be used by registries to help manage their mandatory rights
protection measures (i.e. a Sunrise or TM Claims process).  The TC was
supported by both the Implementation Recommendation Team (IRT) and the Special
Trademark Issues (STI) group, as an important tool to make pre-launch
activities more efficient and more effective.

There are some modifications to the TC proposed by ICANN staff that require
some comment and enhancement.  As a matter of policy, I support ICANN staff's
change that all nationally (or multi-nationally) registered marks should be
included in the TC regardless of the jurisdiction.  I also support the
requirement that a registry must utilize either a so-called Sunrise process or
Trademark Claims process before launching the registry.  With that said, I do
not support, however, attempts to remove discretion on the part of a registry
operator to model its own pre-launch rights protections measures.  There must
be a middle-ground position that grants all trademark holders certain rights,
but does not remove discretion on the part of the registry operators to offer
specialized and innovative solutions for trademark holders.

I agree with Bruce Tonkin's public comments in Nairobi that ICANN needs to
analyze this issue based on whether a registry utilizes a Sunrise process
and/or TM Claims process.  I can support the notion that all nationally and
multi-nationally trademarks should be eligible for a pre-launch rights
protection measure, but registries should have the flexibility to decide which
protection works best for its registry.  Any attempt to remove this discretion
could harm competition, innovation and trademark protection itself.  For
example, the .lamp registry should be able to decide for itself that they will
have a Sunrise process for any trademarks filed in International Class 011,
which covers lamps. For all other trademarks, the registry should have the
discretion to utilize a TM Claims process.  Similarly, the .paris registry
might want to use a Sunrise process for trademarks filed only in France, and
use a TM Claims process for the rest.  As long as every name in the TC is
covered by one of the protections, the registry should have the discretion to
pick and choose based on various TM differentiators.  If a registry doesn't
have this discretion, then it might just choose to use the "least common
denominator" and not provide additional rights to certain trademark segments.
The applicant guidebook must be clear on this point -- the current language is
not.

The ICANN community has worked hard to achieve an important scheme of trademark
protections in the upcoming round of New TLDs, including a procedure for
objections for infringing top level applications, a thick Whois requirement,
the URS, the Trademark Clearinghouse, a mandatory Trademark Claims or Sunrise
process, and a Post Delegation Dispute Resolution Process.  All of these will
make New TLDs a much safer place for trademarks than existing gTLDs and ccTLDs.
 In my opinion after some tweaks to the Clearinghouse and PDDRP, the trademark
overarching issue should be considered resolved.

Thanks.

Jonathon L. Nevett
President, Domain Dimensions, LLC