ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tm-clear-15feb10]

Trademark Clearing House and the Established Use of DotCom Registrants

  • To: tm-clear-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Trademark Clearing House and the Established Use of DotCom Registrants
  • From: Paul Foody <paulfoody@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 00:28:00 -0700

Dear Sirs

It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to speak in Nairobi and I thankyou now for the opportunity to offer my opinion on the Trademark Protection Mechanisms proposed for the latest applicant guidebook.

According to WIPO, which, as I understand it, whilst being one of the chief architects of the new gTLD proposals, will also be one of its major beneficiaries should new gTLDs go ahead, “Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind: inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce”. A trademark, as described by WIPO, is “a distinctive sign which identifies certain goods or services as those produced or provided by a specific person or enterprise” originating from “ancient times, when craftsmen reproduced their signatures, or "marks" on their artistic or utilitarian products” whilst adding that “the system enables people with skill and enterprise to produce and market goods and services in the fairest possible conditions, thereby facilitating international trade”.

The emphasis WIPO puts on trademarks as a means of promoting initiative, skill and enterprise is to be applauded. However the current Trademark protections being proposed for inclusion within the Draft Application Guidebook are far from fair. In effect, by ignoring DotCom “Creations of the Mind” it will, in my opinion, render the existing domain registration system as nothing more than one huge domain tasting exercise for the benefit of internet savvy corporations especially search engine operators, registrars, IP lawyers and the corporations they represent and others fortunate enough to have been sufficiently aware of ICANN’s new gTLD plans to have been able to prepare for the upcoming replacement of the DotCom registry, which ICANN has been planning since its formation in 1998. In short ICANN insiders.

The new gTLDs, as proposed, will inevitably completely replace the DotCom registry, which became the de facto standard for registering an online presence and all but rendered trademark registration obsolete (even after Trademark Laws belatedly introduced classifications for internet businesses). Whilst the proposed TM protections within the DAG will restore the role of the trademark lawyer, albeit, probably, only temporarily, this will be at the expense of Dotcom registrants whose initiative, enterprise and advertising budgets have done so much to drive the success of the internet as a commercial medium. That this appears to be a deliberate and planned attack on the DotCom registry and its registrants is best illustrated by the specific exclusion within the TM proposals of any trademark including DotCom, an exclusion none of the IRT panel in Nairobi could justify.

ICANN’s continued refusal to notify the 85 million DotCom registrants (not to mention over 100 million registrants of other registries) of the new gTLD proposals until the Communications campaign due to commence after resolution of the outstanding overarching problems, including the TM issue, suggests ICANN is not willing to entertain opinions which might conflict with their own, regardless of validity. This dismissive attitude towards Registrants is further illustrated by the Registrants Rights Charter, which although introduced in a resolution in Mexico in March 2009, simultaneously with the IRT and with a 31 day timeframe was not completed until early this year and even then included no provision that Registrants be notified of proposed changes which might materially affect their domain name assets.

The TM proposals also seek to regulate the allocation of gTLD strings which whilst frequently registered as DotCom (and other) domains cannot be registered in (so far as I am aware) existing TM systems, such as descriptive or indistinct marks and as such is evidence, in my opinion, that the IRT/STI is overstepping its powers and given the impact such changes will have on demand for national trademarks and the operation of national IP Offices, suggests a need for consideration of the entire new gTLD program by senior levels of all governments.

Accordingly, rather than legitimising the allocation of new gTLD strings, the proposed trademark provisions demonstrate the potential advantage to unscrupulous "insiders” involved in the formation of ICANN’s new gTLD policy, as well as those simply aware of the process, who, for years already, have enjoyed privileged information which may have enabled them, accidentally or otherwise, to obtain for themselves and their associates a material advantage over the general public they exist to serve, such as the registration of trademarks in preparation for the upcoming gTLD land-grab.

Given the potentially enormous financial value of such insider knowledge and the ever growing gulf between our system of laws, intellectual and otherwise and the justice it purports to support, if the initiative and enterprise demonstrated by 85 million DotCom registrants, electronically documented, is not given even the protection provided by hand crafted trademarks of “ancient times”, the new gTLD introduction, backed as it is by ICANN and WIPO, may well prove to be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Accordingly, whilst I remain fundamentally opposed to the introduction of new gTLDs except where such gTLDs will add to competition, such as with limited numbers of categorised gTLDs, in view of recommendations by Microsoft’s Russ Pangborn and Richard Tindal that ICANN should recognise all national trademarks regardless of validation of use or substantive review, ICANN should similarly recognise the established use rights conferred by the meritocratic registration of legitimate DotCom domains and require that applications for new gTLD strings be backed either by the ownership of the DotCom domain or the consent of the DotCom registrant of the relevant string.

I thankyou again for the opportunity to state my opinion which I know will receive your fullest consideration not least because I believe my views will be echoed by a large proportion of the 85 million DotCom registrants who even now remain largely unaware of the impending changes to the domain name system despite the material impact it will have on their domain names, many of which are critical to the operation of millions of small and medium size businesses throughout the world.

Thanks again

Sincerely

Paul Foody