ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tmch-strawman]

Support of Strawman Solution and Limited Preventative Registration proposals

  • To: "tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx" <tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Support of Strawman Solution and Limited Preventative Registration proposals
  • From: Bruce W Longbottom <longbottom_bruce@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 21:32:47 +0000

To Whom It May Concern,

Please note that Eli Lilly and Company supports adoption of both the "Strawman
Solution" and the "Limited Preventative Registration" proposals in order to
enhance our ability to protect our trademarks when used as or in domain names
in new gTLDs.  In particular we support the Limited Preventative Registration
proposal as a cost-efficient and streamlined method to register names across
hundreds of new registries as opposed to the current mechanism.

Our company is the applicant for the .LILLY gTLD (Application number
1-1018-57217).  Since 2004, we (or one of our affiliates) have filed 97 UDRP
proceedings covering 446 domains with respect to our trademarks.  We have also
sent cease and desist letters which have resulted in the successful transfer of
25 domains.  In total, we have successfully obtained 471 domains containing our
trademarks registered and used in bad faith by third parties.  Our vigilance
has been fueled by our concern about the misleading and potentially harmful use
of our trademarks in the domain names of websites, especially in light of the
proliferation of illegal online drug sellers and the obvious risk to consumer
and patient safety.  While we understand that these proposals may not eliminate
the bad faith use and registration of domains incorporating our marks, we
believe these proposals will provide cost effective assistance to Lilly and
other trademark owners to help manage what we anticipate will be an explosion
of cybersquatting with the introduction of the new gLTDs.

Thank you for your consideration.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Bruce Longbottom
Assistant General Counsel
Trademarks, Copyrights and Information Technology
Eli Lilly and Company
phone: (317) 651-1346
fax: (317) 276-1919
email: longbottom_bruce@xxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message (including all attachments) is for
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.