ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tmch-strawman]

Comments from FAITID on Trademark Clearinghouse: Strawman Solution

  • To: tmch-strawman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments from FAITID on Trademark Clearinghouse: Strawman Solution
  • From: Maxim Alzoba <m.alzoba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:49:03 +0400

Dear ICANN staff,

The Foundation for Assistance for Internet Technologies and Infrastructure
Development (FAITID) is the non-commercial organization that develops a system
of initiatives aimed at expanding Internet use on behalf of the Russian and
international community.

In April 2012 an application for the .MOSCOW and .МОСКВА (IDN TLD can be
translated “Moscow”) domains was submitted to ICANN by FAITID, supported by the
Government of Moscow.

In the near future lots of companies and individuals will be able to register
their .MOSCOW/.МОСКВА domains. That’s why it is extremely important for us to
ensure that trademark holder rights are respected. However, the ICANN's
requirement of domain registration during priority registration period only for
trademark holders who are compliant with the Trademark Clearinghouse without
taking into consideration the interests and rights of other rightful trademark
holders and not giving them any alternative, makes it impossible because of the
reasons described below.

As a legal successor of the USSR, the Russian Federation ratified the Paris
Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property in July 1965. More than
170 countries ratified this Convention, including the USA in 1887.
In accordance with Art. 6 (1) of this Convention: “The conditions for the
filing and registration of trademarks shall be determined in each country of
the Union by its domestic legislation.“
According to Art. 1484 (1) of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation: “The
person in whose name the trademark is registered (the rights holder) shall
enjoy the exclusive right to use a trademark in accordance with Article 1229 of
the present Code, in any manner not contrary to a law (the exclusive right to a
trademark) including by the means indicated in Paragraph 2 of the present
Article.”
Namely, “The exclusive right to a trademark may be disposed for the
individualization of the goods, work, or services with respect to which the
trademark has been registered, in particular by using a trademark: ... (5) in
the Internet, including in a domain name and for other means of addressing.”
This means that in Russia, a person, owning a trademark, registered in
accordance with the Russian Federal Service for Intellectual Property
(Rospatent) or the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), has the
right to register a domain name that includes this trademark. This must be
taken into account when opening the new domain zones to avoid conflict
situations in advance.
According to the Madrid agreement concerning the international registration of
marks («Madrid Agreement»), trademarks, registered by the Russian Federal
Service for Intellectual Property (Rospatent), and trademarks registered by the
WIPO have equal rights in Russia.

Thus, we believe that according to national and international law, the priority
for the registration of .MOSCOW and .МОСКВА domains in the territory of the
Russian Federation should be granted, in the first place, to trademarks
registered in accordance with the national legislation of the Russian
Federation, together with trademarks registered in accordance with the Madrid
Agreement. The protocol of the Madrid Agreement was signed by the USA on
November 2, 2003 and by the Russian Federation on June 10, 1997.
We would like to note that any infringement of the rights of rights holders
that are not provided for by the national or international agreement, is likely
to become a subject of dispute in court. In this case, the court would
recognize such infringement as invalid.

Given the arguments above, we are asking you to make an amendment to the
Applicant Guidebook, regulating the registration of the new TLDs during the
Sunrise period, in compliance with our position. It will help to avoid
violation of trademark protection rights under national and international
legislation.

In case the amendments are not made, our company will de facto be seen as the
violator of the rights of the rights holders, who will apply to court demanding
to restore their violated rights. Moreover, we will become the violators of
Russian law (the Civil Code) and the international convention that has
superiority over national laws.

If necessary, we are ready to provide further clarifications on this issue and
provide you with our proposals for the Sunrise period, where we suggest how to
prevent the violation of the rights of rights holders.

Sincerely Yours,

Maxim Alzoba
Special projects manager,
International Relations Department,