ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[tralliance-comments]

.travel Wild Card - Travel Community View

  • To: <tralliance-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .travel Wild Card - Travel Community View
  • From: <secretariat@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:20:05 -0400

Dear Sirs:

On behalf of The Travel Partnership Corporation (TTPC), the non-profit
organization formed to sponsor the .travel TLD, with a membership of more
than 120 travel and tourism associations worldwide, I submit this letter in
support of Tralliance Corporation?s request to introduce a Wild Card
service.

The global travel community has joined forces and worked tirelessly over the
last few years to achieve a unified presence on the Internet through the
.travel TLD. We are pleased with the rate of domain name adoption at this
stage of the initiative and expect the success of .travel to have a
far-reaching positive impact on our industry and travellers as well.

We are dismayed, however, that the lack of a service, as proposed by
Tralliance, is leading to hundreds of thousands of frustrated consumers who
are among the first to look for and access .travel domains. In today?s
environment, particularly when consumers are still learning about the
.travel domain and are eager to access information in this new space,
landing on an error page creates a negative perception and an inordinately
confusing experience for end users.

The .travel domain has limitless potential for our industry for small and
large travel entities alike. For those travel companies that were unable to
register their rightful names in other TLDs, .travel offers an authenticated
space in which to do business. Tralliance?s proposed service serves the
efforts of TTPC through automatically providing an information (landing)
page about the TLD and the requirements to register a domain name every time
a typo or unregistered domain is keyed in to any browser anywhere in the
world. It is unthinkable that the potential of .travel could be compromised
because consumers and the travel trade would be denied a simple landing page
that legitimizes every .travel search.  For .travel registrants that have
made the commitment to move to the industry exclusive TLD, they are
understandably anxious to see continued traction, which the Wild Card
service will undoubtedly enhance.

It would be extremely disappointing if, after all of the years of work to
bring the .travel TLD to the Internet, ICANN would consider denying this
important service especially since the Security and Stability Advisory
Committee (SSAC) has clearly stated that such a service is already in
existence for small and well-defined top level domains.  There is no
question that .travel meets the criteria of small and well-defined top level
domains. Furthermore, there are quite a number county code TLDs and one
sponsored TLD that provide such a service today, demonstrating that there is
no negative impact on the stability and integrity of the Internet.

Therefore, we trust that ICANN will follow the lead of the Internet
Architecture Board (IAB), in its 19 September 2003 commentary on the
architectural concerns on the use of DNS Wildcards, which states: "We
hesitate to recommend a flat prohibition against wildcards in
"registry"-class zones, but strongly suggest that the burden of proof in
such cases should be on the registry to demonstrate that their intended use
of wildcards will not pose a threat to stable operation of the DNS or
predictable behavior for applications and users."  Tralliance, we are
confident, will meet this burden of proof in line with existing Wild
Card-using registries.

In closing, I reiterate the support of TTPC for the proposed Wild Card
service and we trust that ICANN will affirm Tralliance?s request so that
roadblocks between the travel and tourism community and consumers are
removed thereby resulting in  better user experience and enhanced
e-commerce.

Sincerely,

Birger Bäckman

President & Chairman