ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[transfer-comments-a]

Tranfer Policy Comments

  • To: <transfer-comments-a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Tranfer Policy Comments
  • From: "Nick M." <Nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:15:19 +0530

Hi,

It's been found that a couple of registrars are following their own process
rather than what is prescribed by ICANN.

Moniker is denying transfer if an advance mail is not sent to their support.

 From their website :

As of Friday November 19, 2004, we made sure that all domain names not called
for transfer, were locked in each of your accounts. The new policy states that
unless a domain name is locked, that the registrar of record must allow a
domain to transfer to another registrar without any prior notice from the
registrant. We have heard loud and clear that the majority of our customers
would like for us to keep our current security policy in place which provides
us the ability to deny any transfer requests that we consider to be fraudulent
or if we have not heard from you in advance by an authorized email from the
registrant and/or admin contact of record prior to allowing names to be
released from Moniker.com. Although it is not required, we request that you
notify support@xxxxxxxxxxx in advance of issuing a transfer request to another
registrar and that this request comes from the admin email contact of record.
You must also unlock your domain prior to issuing a transfer request to another
registrar. Once the domain has been unlocked and we receive your notice of
intent to transfer to another registrar, we will then perform an executive and
staff review of your request and approve your name for transfer away from
Moniker. You will then receive a verification email from our system to approve
as a final security procedure before your domain leaves our system.

Is this valid and legal?

Similarly, GoDaddy has been treating a Registrant change as something major and
is denying transfers for 60 days based on this.i.e. If a registrant is changed
for an existing domain, they won't transfer it out for 60 days, quoting an
agreement at https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/agreements.asp

I wish ICANN puts a stop to all this ASAP.

Affected Registrant,

Naresh Malik