ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[transfer-comments-g]

Domain registration policies

  • To: <transfer-comments-g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Domain registration policies
  • From: "John K. Beschler" <jkbeschler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:15:44 -0600

Gentlemen,

While this email does not specifically speak directly to the transfer of a
domain, it does concern domain registrations.

In my experience dealing with web hosting providers and domain registrations I
have found that many web hosting companies have a policy of registering domains
for their companies in the name of the web host and not the party for which the
domain was purchased.  Additionally, I've found that most customers are unaware
of the ramifications of this policy.  This policy frequently causes problems
when attempting to transfer the domain to a new registrar or web host.  Many
customers discover that though they have paid for the domain name, they in fact
do not own the name because it was registered by their web hosting provider on
behalf of the provider and not the customer.

Ideally, this should be prohibited; however, I'm not sure how such a
prohibition could be enforced.

Please consider this issue as you consider the ramifications of the domain
registration system and process.

Thanks you,
John Beschler
bigdog@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the rock eternal. Isaiah
26:4 (NIV)