ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[transfers-wg]

RE: [transfers-wg] Transfers WG Agenda

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [transfers-wg] Transfers WG Agenda
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:13:00 -0700

appreciated. I would like to add two issues, related to a couple you
and Marcus have already raised.</div>
ownership or license) should not be allowed, or at least, the registrar
of record should have the option of not allowing it for some period of
time, 30-60 days perhaps. This was an explicit requirement in the old
transfer policy, not sure why it was removed.</div>
way of automating approval from the Registrant. Currently, there is
often no Registrant email address available since it is not required to
be in the public Whois. However, I am sure most, if not all, registrars
collect that. If that could be available to registrars only when trying
to facilitate a transfer we could eliminate many conflicts later when
the Registrant claims they did not approve the transfer. Some
registrars have gone to completely paper transfer processes as a result
of this issue, and all that does is slow down and complicate the
transfer process for registrants.</div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT:
blue 2px solid"><BR>-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: Re:
[transfers-wg] Transfers WG Agenda<BR>From: Ross Rader
&lt;ross@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Thu, August 18, 2005 3:34 pm<BR>To:
Marcus Faure &lt;faure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc:
transfers-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bhavin
Turakhia<BR>&lt;bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;, Bruce Tonkin
&lt;Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
MESSAGE-----<BR>Hash: SHA1<BR><BR>These are great Marcus. I'm adding a
few based on Tucows experiences...<BR><BR>1. Additional registrar
imposed restrictions. It seems that a number of<BR>registrars are
imposing additional constraints on transfers (i.e. no<BR>transfer for
60 days after contact data changes). While the policy seems<BR>to be
rather clear on this point, enforcement/compliance seems to be
an<BR>issue.<BR><BR>2. Showing identity of reseller in FOA. As a
wholesaler, we're probably<BR>more effected by this than most, but we
are seeing a moderately high<BR>level of confusion from end-users
because their reseller isn't<BR>identified in the FOA. It would be
useful to discuss adding the option<BR>to identify the reseller in
addition to requiring the inclusion of the<BR>registrar's
identity.<BR><BR>3. Repatriation of inappropriately transferred names
is difficult and<BR>processes are still unclear. This is mostly evident
in incidences where<BR>a registrant has objected to a transfer, despite
the approval of the<BR>admin contact. The transfer policy is quite
clear that the registrant<BR>"trumps" the admin contact, but is not
clear how these types of veto<BR>situations should be handled. The
result is an inconsistent application<BR>of the policy and increased
risk of domain theft.<BR><BR>4. TDRP enforcement seems inconsistent and
does not rely on past<BR>precedent as intended. Situations with similar
fact patterns are being<BR>decided differently by the same dispute
provider leading to a distinct<BR>lack of clarity and reliability of
the proceedings. This is primarily<BR>observed at the registry
level.<BR><BR><BR>On 18/08/2005 9:45 AM Marcus Faure noted
that;<BR>&gt; Hi all,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I would like to add issues that
I feel should be addressed<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 1. Definition of
the term 'transfer'<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The policy states that domains may
not be transferred 60 days after a<BR>&gt; transfer took place. Some
registrars claim that an 'internal' transfer<BR>&gt; also falls into
this category, e.g. the domain moved from one reseller to<BR>&gt;
another without registry involvement.<BR>&gt; I do not think that this
qualifies as a transfer. Additionally it is<BR>&gt; impossible to
control, so a registrar might abuse this.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 2.
Transfers in autorenew grace period<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It has become a
common business practice to use the autorenew grace period<BR>&gt; for
domain monetization programs. Usually the domain is taken offline
for<BR>&gt; a few days on the day of expiration to give the registrant
time to react.<BR>&gt; If the registrant does not react, the registrar
changes the ownership data<BR>&gt; to show the registrar as the new
owner and puts some sponsored pages on<BR>&gt; the domain. This
effectively circumvents the transfer policy requirement<BR>&gt; to
allow transfer in autorenew grace period.<BR>&gt; While there are a
number of arguments pro and contra this behaviour, it is<BR>&gt;
certainly not in line with the intention of the transfer policy. We
should<BR>&gt; ask ourselves if the transfer policy has to be
adopted.<BR>&gt; Add grace period abuse is a related subject, but that
is probably OT.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 3. Definition of a FOA
subject line<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; While the FOA body is well-defined, the
subject line is not. I think it<BR>&gt; will be easier for all
participants if the FOA would have a standardized<BR>&gt; subject
line.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 4. Implementation of IANA ids for
transfers<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It would be an improvement for everyone to
get rid of the proprietary<BR>&gt; registrar ids that differ from
registry to registry. CORE proposes that<BR>&gt; registries shall
implement IANA ids in transfers instead. This has already<BR>&gt; been
circulated on the RC mailing list and was endorsed by a number
of<BR>&gt; people, but got lost somehow in the .net phase.<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 5. ICANN death penalty<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Not sure if
this is OT, but I would like to see more possibilities for<BR>&gt;
ICANN to enforce its policies. Currently the threat to cancel
the<BR>&gt; accreditation is ICANN's only possibility to do so. There
should be more<BR>&gt; ways for ICANN. A number of proposals have been
circulated on the RC list.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 6. Default lock
mechanism<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; OK, I know that (big) registrars are happy
with a default domain-lock,<BR>&gt; but I still think that this is not
in line with transfer policy and that<BR>&gt; there is no need for a
lock when you have an authinfo. Hence this should<BR>&gt; be on the
list of topics to address.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Yours,<BR>&gt;
Marcus<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Ross
Rader wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; All -<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The first
Transfers working group meeting will be held on Thursday, 18<BR>&gt;
August 2005 at 21:00 UTC (14:00 Los Angeles, 17:00 EST, 23:00 CET,
7:00<BR>&gt; am Friday Melbourne, 9:00am Friday Auckland)<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; I apologize for the uncomfortable call time that we've
arranged. There<BR>&gt; was a conflict with the GNSO Council call
earlier today and it was<BR>&gt; important that we moved the ball
forward after so much delay. The next<BR>&gt; call will be scheduled at
a much more reasonable time and much of our<BR>&gt; next work will be
conducted on the mailing list. Hopefully this doesn't<BR>&gt;
inconvenience too many of you.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Call-in details have
already been circulated. Please let me know if you<BR>&gt; did not
receive the phone number and access code.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If there are
other members of your respective constituencies that would<BR>&gt; like
to participate, please let me know.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Call
Agenda:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 1. Review WG Scope and Deliverables.<BR>&gt;
2. Start gathering items that require further clarification from
staff.<BR>&gt; 3. Outline next steps.<BR>&gt; - completion of list of
issues<BR>&gt; - prioritization of list of issues<BR>&gt; - preparation
of document outline further work requirements<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Total
time: 45 minutes.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; WG Scope:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The goal
of the working group is to document specific issues with the<BR>&gt;
existing Inter-registrar transfer policy that require further<BR>&gt;
clarification necessary to support a recommendation to the GNSO
Council<BR>&gt; to request the preparation of an advisory from ICANN
staff concerning<BR>&gt; the appropriate interpretation of any of the
unclear provisions. The<BR>&gt; working group must identify what
further data analysis or audits will be<BR>&gt; required to produce
sufficient information for the Council to take a<BR>&gt; decision. Any
recommendations from the working group should identify the<BR>&gt;
total amount of time and resources required to collect the
necessary<BR>&gt; level of data. The task force should also prepare a
secondary document<BR>&gt; outlining what areas of further or
additional work the GNSO Council may<BR>&gt; wish to undertake
regarding the existing consensus policy.<BR><BR>- --<BR>-
--<BR>Regards,<BR><BR><BR><BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
-rwr<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;"Every contrivance of man, every tool, every
instrument,<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
every utensil, every article designed for use, of each<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; and every kind, evolved from
very simple beginnings."<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- Robert
Collier<BR><BR><BR>Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com<BR>My Blogware:
v1.2.3-nr1 (Windows
XP)<BR><BR>iD8DBQFDBPDw6sL06XjirooRAmqFAKCHhj74RIH0XfXz0jLbfF+Vc3m8GACeK1ok<BR>yX9CENXHLEfrvymtc9+sBLs=<BR>=AXsA<BR>-----END
PGP SIGNATURE----- </BLOCKQUOTE>