ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-2010]

Comment on travel support

  • To: <travel-support-2010@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on travel support
  • From: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:58:24 +0200

I'm writing as an individual member of the internet community.

Regarding future travel support ICANN and its affiliated structures
should also tribute to the economic circumstances the world (as well as
the internet community) is faced with at the time being. Increasing
travel funding is not the right answer rather than to allocate the
existing funds properly in order to fulfil ICANN's mission.

ICANN meetings' priority is that of holding physical working sessions
which mainly refers to the Board, GNSO, CCNSO and the ACs. GAC - due to
reasons of clear independence - should be excluded from funding. GNSO,
CCNSO and the ACs should be supported according to their importance
which is represented on board level.

Economically oriented individuals and companies sending their
representatives to ICANN meetings will simply prioritize their own
budget. I'm convinced that as a consequence of the economic crisis many
of them won't be represented in Sydney and other places far away.
They'll still try to contribute to the work in different ways and not
beg for travel funding rather than searching for solutions to overcome
the uncomfortable situation.

Best regards
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben