ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[travel-support-draft]

Travel Support policy document

  • To: travel-support-draft@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Travel Support policy document
  • From: Adam Peake <ajp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:20:40 +0900

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the travel support proposal.

I support Olga Cavalli's comment <http://forum.icann.org/lists/travel-support-draft/msg00004.html>.

Further:

The policy proposes that there should no longer be a travel
support distinction between Nomcom selectees and other
counselors with respect to travel support.

I am concerned that NomCom appointees might no longer be guaranteed travel support. Any such policy should be coordinated with the NomCom review. I have been involved in four NomComs, and based on that experience I think it would be extremely difficult to recruit high quality candidates for non-Board positions unless there was an assurance that travel and accommodation expenses would be provided. All NomCom appointees are expected to travel and participate in ICANN meetings, a commitment to do is a condition of becoming a candidate. Travel procedures must carefully consider the role of NomCom appointees in the ICANN, their role in representing the public interest rather than those of the concerned industry and how any weakening of their role might affect ICANN.

All current NomCom appointees, and I believe also those who have submitted applications during the current 2008 process, did so with the expectation that their expenses for attending ICANN meetings would be covered. This document <http://nomcom.icann.org/positions-2008.html> explains most conditions to candidates, it hasn't changed much over the years. Example:

"All NomCom appointees are expected to travel and participate in ICANN meetings. Reasonable expenses incurred in attending meetings will be reimbursed."

Other similar text, this for GNSO but it's common for most positions:

"As stated in the ICANN Bylaws, such support shall not include an obligation for ICANN to fund travel expenses incurred by GNSO participants for travel to any meeting of the GNSO or for any other purpose. However, ICANN has customarily furnished travel expenses for Nominating Committee appointed Council members to ICANN meetings. This custom is planned to continue, but is subject to the Bylaw statement. [Bylaws Article X, Section 4, see <http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#X-4>]"

I doubt many would apply if there was not a very strong expectation that expenses would be covered.

Board appointees are not effected by the draft travel support proposals, but other positions the NomCom selects are. The ccNSO is a three year appointment, ALAC and GNSO two years so it will take some time for any new policy to work its way through.

About the mechanics of the procedure. It would be cheaper if tickets were bought further in advance. Why 45 days rather than, for example, 60? If volunteers who are expecting to work at the meeting are to be denied travel, then less than 45 days may not enough notice for them to consider other options, or for committees to rearrange their work.

As someone who has benefited from travel support, I strongly suggest the procedure allow least cost upgradeable fares and permit some flexibility to use frequent flyer plans. Booked well in advance these are not greatly more expensive, booking conditions also tend to be slightly more flexible, i.e. lower cancellation fees, changeable dates etc.

Past experience suggests ICANN's travel agent is not necessarily cheap. This may have changed since I used that service. However, ticket prices vary greatly by region. Has ICANN investigated lower cost travel services, there are many that specialize in serving the international non-for profit sector.

The travel procedure should be considered along with the new proposals on reforming ICANN meetings. As the dates of ICANN meetings to October 2010 are known, why can't the deadline for deciding the location be at least 12 months before to allow negotiation of cheaper accommodation?

Editorial: The NomCom has an associate chair not vice chair.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Peake
GLOCOM Tokyo