ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[vi-pdp-initial-report]

Schindler comments

  • To: vi-pdp-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Schindler comments
  • From: Schindler Daniel <danielmschindler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:20:59 -0700

I have reviewed the Vertical Integration Working Group's Initial Report, as
well as many of the publicly available e-mails.  It is clear to me that while
the group has worked incredibly hard and looked at various solutions to the
issue, it has not and will not reach consensus on any "solution" on the
vertical integration subject.

This debate has been raging for more than two years.  Every angle of the issue
has been reviewed, studied, debated, and debated again.  The bottom line is
that the community will not reach consensus, and it is one of those issues that
needs to be decided by the ICANN Board.

At the ICANN Nairobi meeting the Board said that absent a consensus position
from the community it would make a decision - I believe the time has come for
that decision to be taken and communicated. The GNSO should not do anything
that would violate the charter it established for the VI WG, which clearly
states that the VI WG should not cause any further delay in the introduction of
New TLDs.

Apologies for the repetition, but the Board should move forward by quickly and
firmly making a decision on this issue.  The public interest and ICANN's
credibility has been harmed by each delay in the 26 months since the Board
approved the New TLD policy.

Thank you. Daniel Schindler.