ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[vi-pdp-initial-report]

BC Comment on Vertical Integration Working Group Initial Report

  • To: "vi-pdp-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx" <vi-pdp-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: BC Comment on Vertical Integration Working Group Initial Report
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:14:06 +0000

The Business Constituency (BC) already has an approved position on Vertical
Integration (VI), which was posted in Sep-2009.   However, The executive
committee of the BC believes that the BC needs to add clarifications of our
Sep-2009 position in order to make it more relevant the VI Working Group¹s
initial draft report:

1.  clarify what the BC meant by ³status quo² in our statement ³the BC
opposes any change to the status quo for all TLDs intended for sale to third
parties²

2. clarify what the BC meant by ³internal use² in our statement ³The BC
believes that uniquely for domain names intended for internal use, the
principle of registry-registrar vertical separation should be waived.²

3.  encourage continued work to define eligibility and scope for dot-brand
(single registrant) exceptions.

We drafted a comment along these lines and have posted it here.

Steve DelBianco
Vice chair for policy coordination
ICANN Business Constituency