ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Attempt to reach a greater consensus through a partial rollout

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Attempt to reach a greater consensus through a partial rollout
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:09:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I was curious whether there might be support for a partial rollout of
OPoC and the Special Circumstances proposals on an experimental basis,
to see whether in practice (vs theory) we can see data that would allow
a supermajority consensus to be achieved.

For example, one could do a 6 month or 12 month test using all .com
domains beginning with the letter "A" or "B" under each proposal, for
some of the registrars (e.g. the big ones, GoDaddy, NSI, eNom, Dotster,
Tucows), and leave the remaining domains under the status quo.

Predefine the success metrics (assuming one can reach a consensus on
what constitutes "success" -- maybe that's not possible, and if not,
then one must ask why), and after 6 or 12 months one can flip the
switch and roll things out to the remaining domains/registrars
depending on which system "wins".

Right now, things are so divided that if one makes a decision to switch
100% to a new system, even if the experience is worse than the status
quo there's no guarantee we can go back to it, given the division.

I'll have further thoughts later, but just wanted to throw that out
there.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/