ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Changes to whois System

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Changes to whois System
  • From: <lisa_garono@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:21:18 -0600

Dear Sir/Madam:

As a stake holder in the ecommerce world, I strongly urge you to delay making
changes to the whois system without further input and study.  To date the
domain name business models have been extremely dynamic, and the ability of
brand owners to protect and enforce their brands has typically lagged behind
the business models.  To make rational changes to the whois system requires
that we have some ability to anticipate how the business models (and
corresponding legal models) will evolve.  We do not currently have that
information.  I urge you to either acquire that information or let the business
models stabilize before attempting to "fix" the system.

Sincerely

Lisa A. Garono

Trademark Counsel

Agilent Technologies, Inc.