ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Re: Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council vote on October 31

  • To: "Andrew Matangi" <Andrew.Matangi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council vote on October 31
  • From: "John Glengarry" <john.glengarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:15:41 +1300

I concur with Mr Matangi's views

Regards

John Glengarry
Partner, Patent Attorney
Buddle Findlay
Auckland, New Zealand

Sent from my Blackberry.

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Matangi
To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu Oct 25 11:02:50 2007

Dear Council

I am a trade mark practitioner based in New Zealand.  I act for a range of New
Zealand and multi-national trade mark owners.

I confirm that I support Motion 2 before the Council, namely that ICANN conduct
an objective and comprehensive study on the legitimate abuses and uses of Whois
data â before making policy changes that may permanently alter the structure
of the domain name and Whois system.

I do NOT support Motions 1 or 3 before the Council.

The Whois system is vital to the enforcement of trade mark owners' rights. I
use it to identify the registrants of domain names where a client has concerns
the registrant may be a cyber-squatter so that appropriate steps may be taken
to ensure the domain name is vested in the name of the appropriate owner.

It is therefore vital that contractual obligations are retained which require
registrars to display accurate and complete domain name ownership and contact
details for domain name holders.

Kind regards

Andrew Matangi
Solicitor
Wellington
New Zealand

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential and subject to legal privilege.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.