ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

[no subject]

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject:
  • From: remcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:55:08 -0400

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am the Associate General Counsel for Intellectual Property of The
Sherwin-Williams Company.  Sherwin-Williams is a multinational company
having approximately eight billion dollars in annual sales, and we own in
excess of 6,000 registered trademarks worldwide.  I would urge the GNSO
Counsel of ICANN to adopt Motion 2, which was advanced and supported by
the Internet Committee of the International Trademark Association. I would
further urge ICANN to conduct an objective and comprehensive study on the
abuses and uses of WHOIS data before making any policy change in the
current WHOIS system.

We are a significant user of the Internet in sales and advertising, and we
are aware of many misuses of our trademarks and domain names by
cybersquatters and others who hope to mislead the purchasing public. Those
who misuse our intellectual property in this manner frequently hope to
hide their identities behind the anonymity and transitory nature of the
Internet.  I would urge the committee to conduct a study as proposed by
Motion 2 - and to maintain and, in fact, to strengthen the scope of
disclosure requirements under the WHOIS system to insure that accurate
contact, ownership and identity information  for all TLD name
registrations is available to all Internet users.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert E. McDonald
Associate General Counsel - Patents and Trademarks
The Sherwin-Williams Company
101 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115 USA
216-566-2432 (direct dial)
216-515-4400 (facsimile)
remcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx

   This message contains confidential information intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified
that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by mistake, please
immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original
message immediately thereafter.  Thank you.