ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

[Fwd: FW: Financial Services Roundtable Comment on ICANN Whois Proposals]

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [Fwd: FW: Financial Services Roundtable Comment on ICANN Whois Proposals]
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:24:21 +0200

To:      Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers and GNSO
Council

cc:       John Kneuer, Assistant Secretary for Communications and
Information, US Department of Commerce Department

Re:      Comment on GNSO Council Motions, WHOIS Task Force Report, WHOIS
Outcomes Working Group Report, and ICANN Staff Overview of Recent GNSO
Activity Concerning WHOIS

Dear Sirs and Madams:

The Financial Services Roundtable, including BITS,
(“Roundtable”) appreciates the opportunity to comment on the proposals
currently pending before the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
Numbers (“ICANN”) regarding the WHOIS database and related services
(“WHOIS”), and specifically on the proposals to restrict or eliminate
access to the kind of data collected, maintained, and made publicly
available through WHOIS.

Attached is our comment letter which includes an overview our
members, explains how financial institutions use WHOIS data to combat
fraud and identity theft, and outlines our concerns with the three
proposals before the ICANN Generic Names Supporting Organization.
We recommend that ICANN conduct a comprehensive study on the
registration characteristics, uses and abuses of WHOIS data and take the
results of this study into account before deciding any next steps in
WHOIS policy development.  We do not support the Operational Point of
Contact (OPOC) option or the call for phasing out current WHOIS
contractual obligations for registries, registrars and registrants over
the next year.

Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,

Leigh Williams
President
BITS

Richard M. Whiting
Executive Director and General Counsel

The Financial Services Roundtable
John Carlson

BITS
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Suite 500 South
Washington, D.C. 20004
www.bitsinfo.org <http://www.bitsinfo.org/>

"This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee(s) and may be legally
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, forwarding or use
of the contents of this email, including any information in attachments,
is prohibited. Additionally, if you are not an intended addressee,
please delete this email and attachments and all copies from your
system, destroy any hard copies and immediately notify the sender by
telephone (202.289.4322) or by email. Any unauthorized retention, use or
disclosure of this email and/or attachments may be unlawful. Thank you."

-- Glen de Saint Géry GNSO Secretariat - ICANN gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org http://gnso.icann.org