ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

"InterContinental Hotels Group Comments"

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: "InterContinental Hotels Group Comments"
  • From: Ashley Stocks <astocks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:03:37 -0400

As the Global Head of Data Privacy of InterContinental Hotels Group, I write in support of motion 2 and in strong opposition to motions 1 and 3.

InterContinental Hotels Group PLC of the United Kingdom is the world’s largest hotel company. We own, manage and franchise several of the world’s most famous global hotel brands, including InterContinental®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Crowne Plaza®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites® and Hotel Indigo® – a total of over 3,600 hotels and 537,500 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries and territories around the world.

Our customers booked more than $1 billion on our websites last year, and our Holiday Inn website was the most frequently visited hotel brand site in the world. We depend on Whois to quickly identify and contact unauthorized domain name registrants and website operators.

Our experience has shown that consumer protection is essential to sustain and promote Internet commerce transactions. As part of that, consumers need access to Whois to verify who owns and operates a particular website. In the interest of consumer protection, our businesses need access to the Whois database to protect the privacy and security of our customers to reduce the risk of online fraud, including identity theft.

We cannot support any process that puts barriers in the way of going after bad actors on the Internet. If the oPOC proposal were adopted, most of the data now in Whois could be cut off from public access, rendering most of the current public and business uses of Whois virtually impossible. Reducing public access to Whois will have a seriously detrimental effect on our consumer protection efforts worldwide.

It is critical that ICANN preserve and enhance access to Whois data for purposes of protecting consumers and fighting fraud. Further, there is clearly a need for ICANN to implement measures to enhance the accuracy of registrant information to prevent such abuses. There is a tremendous public interest value in a rich Whois data set with information on registrants and administrative contacts.

        Sincerely,

Lynn Goodendorf

        Global Head of Data Privacy
        InterContinental Hotels Group