ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Preserve the Whois System

• To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Preserve the Whois System
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:30:38 -0700

To Whom It May Concern:

On behalf of Sun Microsystems, Inc. and as a member of the International Trademark Association, I recommend that the GNSO take the following actions with respect to the motions before it in connection with the Whois system:

ADOPT Motion 2 and
    REJECT Motion 1 and 3

As a trademark attorney, I have been using the Whois system since 1995. While at Arent Fox in Washington, D.C., I filed one of the first federal court actions to return a domain name to a trademark owner -- we sought the return of the domain bbb.org to the Council of Better Business Bureaus. Since that time, I have used Whois frequently in my practice to protect the brands under my care. The database is invaluable for domain name management, acquisition due diligence, trademark enforcement and protection of a broad range of intellectual property rights. As you know, the core legal principle underlying trademark statutes is protection of the buying public. Motions 1 and 3 would deprive the public of a critical information resource.

While many of us have experienced abuse of the current system, I advocate adopting Motion 2 and carrying out a study of the current use of the Whois data before making any policy change.

Regards,

Tiki Dare

-- <http://www.sun.com> * Tiki Dare * Director, Trademarks

*Sun Microsystems, Inc.*
10 Network Circle, MS UMPK10-146
Menlo Park, CA 94025 US
Phone 650-352-5315
Fax 650-786-6118
Email Tiki.Dare@xxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy