ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Whois Database System

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois Database System
  • From: "Ball, Mary" <MBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:05:39 -0500

Dear Sir or Madam,

Playboy Enterprises, Inc. has been advised that ICANN is seeking
feedback from Internet stakeholders regarding the upcoming vote on three
motions pertaining to proposed changes to the Whois Database System.

Playboy opposes Motions 1 and 3 and the potential abolishment of the
current Whois Database. We use this information on a daily basis to
assist in the investigation of infringers and other fraudulent matters;
to verify domain name ownership and as a resource tool for overall
protection of Playboy's intellectual property rights on the Internet. To
abolish the Whois Database would severely impede our ability to pursue
domain name and trademark infringers on the Internet. Additionally, we
use this information to track down the ISP for websites that illegally
display our copyrighted content.

Playboy supports Motion 2 and we respectfully request ICANN to conduct
an objective and comprehensive study on the legitimate uses of the Whois
Database before making any policy changes that may permanently alter the
structure of the domain name and Whois system.

Respectfully yours,

Mary K. Ball

Senior Manager, IP Enforcement

Playboy Enterprises International, Inc.
312.373.2315 - Direct
312.266.2042 - Fax

---

may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended
recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject
to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System
Administrator.