ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

[no subject]

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject:
  • From: "Cecchi, Micol" <Micol.Cecchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:05:03 -0600

Dear Sirs:

I represent an international distributor of motor vehicles.  We have
historically seen numerous occasions of infringement of our trademarks
through domain names.  Whois is an important tool to identify
registrants of domain names and to determine whether a domain name was
registered by a legitimate party or by a cybersquatter.  It is essential
that ownership and origin of domain names be available for verification
or determination of illegal conduct, and to prevent consumer confusion
and fraud.  We understand registrars may not have the resources to
police registrants of domain names; therefore, trademark owners should
be provided the tools to self-police; to deprive them of domain name
owner information would place significant new burdens on both registrars
and registrants as companies seek this information form them directly or
through legal process.  We believe the Whois information currently
available is essential.

Accordingly, we submit that the GNSO Council should adopt Motion 2 and
reject Motions 1 and 3.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Micol Cecchi

____________________
Micol Cecchi
Senior Counsel
Nissan North America, Inc.
Legal Department, B7-K2
333 Commerce Street
Nashville, TN 37201
micol.cecchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<blocked::mailto:micol.cecchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: (615) 725-1669
Fax: (615) 725-8557

This message is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer or the legal
department of Nissan. This communication may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally protected
from disclosure, and is intended to be received and read only by certain
individuals.  If it has been misdirected, or if you suspect you have
received this in error, you are not authorized to read, print, retain,
copy or disseminate this message or any part of it.  Please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of the message.