ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Motion 2 is the only way to go

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Motion 2 is the only way to go
  • From: "Susan G. O'Neill" <soneill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:38:55 -0700

Dear ICANN,

I urge you to adopt Motion 2 and to reject Motions 1 and 3 regarding the
Whois database.  The Whois database is critical not only for law
enforcement and consumer protection, but also for legitimacy of the
Internet.  Based on my experience as legal counsel specializing in
Internet issues, there is already so much abuse of the Internet through
fraud, abusive registration of domain names, and trademark infringement
on the Internet, which all leads to serious consumer confusion as well
as significant problems for online businesses.  Eliminating the Whois
database or even limiting its access would be a huge mistake as it would
allow for even greater abuse of the Internet than already exists.  It
would be a step backward, not forward.  We must therefore thoroughly
study the alleged problems with use of the Whois database before making
any changes. Please adopt Motion 2.

Thank you for your consideration.

Susan O'Neill

*****************************
This communication, including any attachments, is confidential and may be
protected by privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
immediately notify the sender by telephone or email, and permanently delete all
copies, electronic or other, you may have.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) was
not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing
or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

The foregoing applies even if this notice is embedded in a message that is
forwarded or attached.