ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

Keep WHOIS as is

  • To: whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Keep WHOIS as is
  • From: Tristan Louis <tristan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:59:26 -0700

of getting rid of WHOIS. For a variety of reasons, this strikes me as a very
big problem. For starters, I do believe that the concerns raised in terms of
changing the current state of WHOIS would not be alleviated as a result of the
change since the data would just move from public domain to private providers.
details in the thinking that is leading us to this event, I believe that more
minimal work is best to ensure proper functioning of the system. The WHOIS
system may not be perfect but it is the best we have and the proposed changes
would have a more disastrous impact than the current state of things.
increase complexity while doing little to defeat efforts by people who want to
use the data in nefarious way. As a domain name owner with data in !
 WHOIS since 1994, I can assure you that none of the current concerns about
pishing and other efforts based on WHOIS data appear to be grounded in reality.
ICANN's focus on assuring reliable operations of the infrastructure underlying
href="http://www.tnl.net";