ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments-2007]

future of Whois Database

  • To: <whois-comments-2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: future of Whois Database
  • From: "Olie, Aline" <Aline.Olie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:14:08 +0100

Dear Sirs,

We have become aware that ICANN are currently seeking feedback from
Internet stakeholders and their representatives on whether to change or
eliminate the Whois database.

As you will know, the adidas Group owns various famous trade marks which
- practice has shown - are interesting for cybersquatters to register as
a domain name without our consent. In order to stop these practices, it
is crucial for a business such as adidas to have access to the Whois
database, in order to find out details on the registrant, who is acting
in bad faith. Such details enable us to initiate legal action. For this
reason, the adidas Group makes daily use of the Whois database.

It is our understanding that on 31 October, the Generic Names Supporting
Organization will vote on three motions that will determine the future
structure of the domain name and Whois system. This is to confirm that
adidas supports the motion that ICANN should conduct an objective and
comprehensive study of the legitimate abuses and uses of the Whois data
- before making any policy changes that may permanently alter the
structure of the domain name and Whois system. The other two motions
which are being discussed should be rejected, in adidas opinion.

Should you require additional information, please do not hesitate to
contact me.

Yours faithfully,

Aline Olie
Assistant General Counsel IP

Aline Olie
adidas International Marketing BV
I.P. Department
Koningin Wilhelminaplein 30
1062 KR Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel: ++ 31 20 5734558
Fax: ++ 31 20 4701986
aline.olie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail and any attachments contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not an intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or use of information within it is strictly prohibited. If you received
this e-mail in error or without authorisation, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system. If you need any further
assistance, please send a message to 123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thank you in advance.