ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments]

[no subject]

  • To: <whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject:
  • From: "Dow, Troy" <Troy.Dow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:14:37 -0500

I am pleased to submit comments on behalf of The Walt Disney Company in
response to the recently posted Preliminary Task Force Report on the purpose of
Whois.

Disney supports overall the comments submitted by the Commercial and Business
Users Constituency and the Intellectual Property Constituency, both of which
are reprinted in the Preliminary Task Force Report.  With respect to the
specific question of which of the two proposed formulations most appropriately
reflects the purpose of Whois in light of considerations articulated in the
Terms of Reference, Disney strongly urges the Task Force to adopt the second of
the two formulations:

âThe purpose of the gTLD Whois service is to provide information sufficient
to contact a responsible party or parties for a particular gTLD domain name who
can resolve, or reliably pass on data to a party who can resolve, technical,
legal or other issues related to the registration or use of a domain name.â

For more than 80 years, Disney has been committed to serving consumers with
unparalleled entertainment experiences. Today, Disney is a market leader in a
number of market segments, including Studio Entertainment, Parks and Resorts,
Consumer Products, and Media Networks.  Each of our businesses in these areas
has a robust and growing presence online and owns numerous domain names in the
generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs).

Disney makes frequent use of Whois data regarding gTLD domain name
registrations, for a variety of purposes.  We rely upon this data in our
efforts to protect some of the worldâs best-known and valuable brands against
a range of illegal behavior, including cybersquatting, online distribution of
counterfeit products, and piracy of copyrighted Disney audiovisual materials.
Access to reliable Whois data is also critical to addressing online fraud
involving Disney products, services or destinations.  In all these instances,
Whois data is the first stop in identifying and locating the perpetrators of
this online misconduct.  It enables us to resolve many of these issues quickly
and efficiently, without the need for litigation.  Whois data is also essential
to us in investigating and preparing those cases that ultimately lead to
criminal prosecution.  This data is used in many other ways as well, including
the management of our own domain name portfolio, and in due diligence
activities on the frequent occasions when our company makes acquisitions that
involve a significant portfolio of domain names.

Access to reliable Whois data for the purposes outlined in the proposed
âFormulation 2â is also important as a means of maintaining consumer
confidence in security, reliability, and accountability in online commerce.
The inability of consumers, law enforcement, and companies like ours to access
and utilize Whois data in order to promote a safe and reliable Internet
environment directly impacts the ability of legitimate business to grow new
opportunities and consumer offerings in the online space.

One quality that unites all these disparate uses of Whois data is that they
would become impossible, or at least much more difficult, costly and
time-consuming, if ICANN were to adopt proposed âFormulation 1â and to
modify the Whois policies that it sets for gTLD registries and registrars to
conform to this narrow purpose.  Few, if any, of these activities involve
resolution of âissues related to the configuration of the records associated
with the domain name within a DNS nameserver;â and if this were the only
purpose of Whois, as âFormulation 1â proposes, the contact data regarding
ownership and use of domain names would be extremely sparse and limited to
technical contacts.  We believe that the uses that we make of Whois data
promote the healthy growth of e-commerce by making it harder for fraud,
infringement, and other misconduct to take place online.  All these benefits
would be significantly undermined if âFormulation 1â were adopted.

Formulation 2, in our view, much more closely reflects the uses of Whois since
its inception, and certainly since it came under ICANNâs auspices in the late
1990âs.  We believe it is also more closely aligned with the contextual
considerations outlined in the Terms of Reference.  For example, those
constituencies supporting âFormulation 1â cite the âcore valuesâ of
âpreserving and enhancing the operational stability, reliability, security,
and global interoperability of the Internetâ and âRespecting creativity,
innovation, and flow of information made possible by the Internet.â  A
formulation that unduly restrains the purpose of Whois to addressing technical
problems related to the configuration of records within a DNS server actually
undercuts these âcore values.â  Reliability and security as a purely
technical matter is of little use where a lack of online accountability and
reliability drives people away from the Internet as a mode of communications,
commercial transactions, or other forms of interaction.  Similarly, the
publicâs interest in creativity, innovation and the flow of information is
only hindered by a restrictive definition of the purpose of Whois that leads to
less transparency and less trust in the Internet as a means of communication
and distribution.

For all these reasons we urge ICANN to continue the course of a workable Whois
policy by adopting âFormulation 2,â not to take a giant step backward by
adopting âFormulation 1.â

Respectfully submitted,

Troy Dow