ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments]

Don't take away WHOIS information

  • To: whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Don't take away WHOIS information
  • From: Micah Portney <mportney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:09:13 -0500

Just this week, I came across a spammer who had spoofed our email addresses
for our domain to spam with. I was receiving thousands of the bounce back
emails. I read the email and found the landing page that they were
marketing. I was able to look at the landing page domain and search the
WHOIS lookup. I found the owner and called them. Only to find out that this
owner had no idea about computers and never even visited the internet, never
mind owning a domain. Their identity had been stolen to be used to register
a domain that would be used as a landing page to sell products using spam
which they also spoofed other domains to use the sending address. Without
the use of the WHOIS, I never would have been able to track down and prove
to the registrar the crimes that were being committed by this spammer.

 Regards,
Micah Portney
ZEO Health Ltd.
845-353-5185

PRODUCT WEBSITES
www.hangoverhero.com
www.esdifan.com
www.destroxin.com

This message is for the designated recipient only, and may contain
privileged proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited.