ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-rt-draft-final-report]

Steve Crocker's comments on the WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

  • To: "whois-rt-draft-final-report@xxxxxxxxx" <whois-rt-draft-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Steve Crocker's comments on the WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report
  • From: Alice Jansen <alice.jansen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:37:23 -0800

Crocker's comments on the WHOIS Review Team Final Report (Draft), 5 December
2011

The report is very good and contains a lot of useful information and, of
course, twenty recommendations worthy of careful consideration.  The following
comments are focused on specific weaknesses and are not a criticism of the
overall report.  They are intended to improve the accuracy and readability of
the report not to argue with the facts or recommendations.

Chapter 1, section A: I believe the original purpose of whois was to provide
points of contact for the hosts that were on the network.  In the early days,
hosts were multi-user machines, and their administrators were roughly
comparable to the operators of small ISPs.  These were not points of contact
for each individual.  The whois system morphed over time, but the formal
definition and the protocols supporting it didn't change except to become more
distributed in order to scale.

Chapter 1, section B: "It is likely that it was selected for use in this
context because it existed and was well understood.  In all probability, it was
selected by default."  (1) It would be easy to check the facts.  Almost all of
the relevant people are still available.  (2) What's the relevance of this
statement?  This in contrast with what?

Chapter 1, section C: "ICANN has adopted the age-old tradition of 'the study'
in lieu of or [as] a precursor to action."  This seems pejorative to me.

Chapter 1, section D: "Rather, it is an attempt to concisely present in a
balanced and fair manner the very real truth  that the current system is broken
and needs to be repaired."  While I don't disagree, I don't think the report
has presented a proper foundation.  The whois system is intended to provide
contact information for a purpose, or perhaps or multiple purposes.  The
accuracy of that information is an important part of the story, but it's not
the whole story.  What needs are not being met?  I think it's important to lay
out the purposes of this information and how those purposes are not being met.
With that in hand I think it will be a lot more clear what it means to say the
current system is broken and it will also be much clearer how to fix it.  To
give a specific, concrete example, why is a proxy registration harmful?
Suppose the proxy service promptly and reliably passes on all message directed
to the technical, administrative and/or owner points of contact.  Under what
circumstances would that be insufficient?  I believe it depends on the purpose
you have in mind for contacting the registrant.  If you have in mind telling
him you think the domain name or the content on his web site is infringing on
someone else's intellectual property and that if he doesn't respond the domain
name will be removed from service, do you actually need the registrant's true
name?  On the other hand, if the registrant's web site contains child
pornography, then you may well need to find the person physically so you arrest
him.  Even in this case, a proxy may be sufficient if it's possible for
appropriate law enforcement personnel to reach the actual registrant via the
proxy.

I'm not trying to argue for one outcome or another.  My point here is that the
purpose(s) of whois are not laid out clearly enough and hence it's not clear
exactly what it means to say it's broken and hence even less clear how to fix
it.

This lack of clarity is repeated throughout the report, and I think the report
would be considerably stronger and more helpful if this were fleshed out.

Chapter 1, section G, recommendation 5.  This recommendation calls for
"reducing the number of unreachable WHOIS registrations ... by 50% within 12
months and by 50% again over the following 12 months."  What is the number of
unreachable whois registrations now?

Recommendation 17: "Thin registry" is mentioned but not yet defined.

Chapter 2, section A: The list of people on the WHOIS Review Team is
impressive, but I didn't see very many people who were likely to supply the
technical depth and understanding of the history that you would have needed.
Were there outside advisers?

Chapter 3, section A: "There are now over 900 gTLD Registrars..." This is
accurate in a very narrow sense.  It would be a service to the reader to
include a much better picture.  First, the very large majority of these 900
registrars are shell companies that exist solely to provide threads to be used
in the drop-catch process.  They're not particularly relevant to the whois
issue.  Further, another largish clump of registrars are run by domainers.  The
names registered through them are not active on the net in ways that are
relevant to this report.  (Or, perhaps they are relevant, but only for a
specific purpose such as determining who's holding a name that infringes on a
trademark.)  Yet further, even among the remaining registrars, there are
important distinctions and segments.  Just a few, starting with GoDaddy, are
very large.  The top several account for the vast majority of the
registrations.  Meanwhile, the resellers drastically change the numbers in the
opposite direction and also play a prominent role in any analysis of what the
problems are.  It would be useful if this report included a good description of
what the registrar and reseller landscape actually looks like.

Chapter 3, section B: "Modern WHOIS Policy is buried in the contracts of the
current Registry and Registrar Agreements."  What was WHOIS and WHOIS policy
prior to ICANN?

"As discussed above, the .COM and .ORG Registries, both run by VeriSign..."  I
think you meant NET, not ORG.  (Also, Verisign no longer uses camel case.)

Chapter 4, section D: What constitutes "wholly accurate"?  What impact does
this inaccuracy have?  (These questions are a continuation of the primary
question asked above about the purpose of the whois data.)

"Just as there is no shared understanding or statement of the purpose of
WHOIS..."  To me, this is the key.  It seems to me important to put the purpose
of WHOIS squarely on the table and deal with the multiple purposes and multiple
understandings of what the problems are.

Chapter 5, "the issue of non-Latin scripts" -- What is the issue?

"ad hoc solutions" might be interpreted as a pejorative term

"the community needs to urgently address the following issues:

1. What data is needed from the registrant,

2. How this data will be represented in the data model, and

3. How this data will be accessed through registration data services."

I don't think this is sufficient.  I'd add:

4. By whom?

5. For what purpose?

This last question controls the accuracy question, i.e. is the data accurate
enough for the purpose?

"... a consistent policy across ccTLDs and gTLDs would make it much easier for
consumers and law enforcement to use WHOIS data."  Yes, but the diversity also
provides a richer set of practices to study and learn from.

Chapter 6, "... effective in meeting the needs of law enforcement and promoting
consumer trust."  These phrases should be expanded and explicated.

Chapter 6, section A: "Having a failsafe avenue to contact administrators..."
What is the difference between inaccurate information and an unresponsive
registrant?

"Even this is not a significant concern for many registrants when only a small
proportion of domain names lead to web sites that the registrant has a vested
interest in maintaining uninterrupted access."  So why does accuracy matter?

Chapter 6, section B, "knock on effects" -- What does this term mean?

Chapter 6, section B, "lack of due diligence" -- What does this mean here?
This seems like a different matter

"Another issue identified by the review team relates to the ability of
consumers to access  WHOIS data. ... over 80% of consumers are unaware of
WHOIS..." -- This is an entirely different issue and it should be put in a
different part of the report.  This is perhaps a really good example of one of
the many distinct "purposes."

"... the Intellectual Property Constituency argued that:

ICANN is subject to a commitment 'to having accurate and complete WHOIS' ...
ICANN is not required to implement national safeguards for individuals'
privacy..." -- This statement seems fatuous or perhaps disingenuous and hence
puts the Intellectual Property Constituency in an unnecessarily bad light.  Is
this a fair presentation of their position?

"Comparison with ccTLD Practices" -- This section is very good.

----
Submitted by ICANN Staff on behalf of Steve Crocker