ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-rt-draft-final-report]

Concerned

  • To: whois-rt-draft-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Concerned
  • From: Paul Pliska <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:01:17 -0800

This report speaks many times of balancing various needs, but all of the recommendations (excepting those related to internationalization) seem to favor the needs of law enforcement and others who want to identify domain owners, not the needs of people who, for various legitimate reasons, to not want to be easily identified.

One important point this report only touched on briefly is that many domains are now owned by ordinary individuals, not companies or other organizations. It is, I think, patently unreasonable that your average Joe who just wants a domain that redirects to his personal blog, cartoon fansite or what-have-you, should have to globally publish his full name, phone number and physical address.

Some possible ways this could be addressed:

Make private registrations an official part of DNS/WHOIS instead of relying on proxies and privacy services. Details of this should address not only what information the registrar of a private domain is required to collect from the registrant or when and to whom is should be released, but also when and to whom it should NOT be released.

Explicitly establish more relaxed rules for domains registered by individuals. These might require only a single working contact method for example. To prevent abuse, there could be a additional requirements, such as that these domains are actually used by an individual, or are not primarily used for commercials purposes.

Create a new TLD specifically for individuals, as above. Or even with no contact information at all. When consumers need accountability they could simply avoid it. (I wouldn't shop at mystore.anon, but I would read myblog.anon without hesitation.)