ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-rt-draft-final-report]

WHOIS Policy Review Team Draft Report

  • To: whois-rt-draft-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS Policy Review Team Draft Report
  • From: "Neil Schwartzman" <neil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 7 Mar 2012 12:25:25 -0500

Thank-you for the opportunity CAUCE to comment on the WHOIS Review Team Final
Report date 5 December 2011.

We believe that overall, the report is fine, it accurately describes the
current WHOIS situation.

The fundamental problem from our perspective is that ICANN has never faced up
to the regulatory role that its contracts with registries, registrars, and
registrants require. As has been noted often, including several times by CAUCE
members directly to ICANN, accurate registrant data is a key resource for
fighting crime and abuse, by both law enforcement and by responsible Internet
businesses including CAUCE and its member organizations and individuals.

The recommendations lay out an achievable path to a WHOIS that meets the needs
of the Internet community.

We understand that some domains are registered by individuals with legitimate
privacy concerns, but the vast majority are registered by organizations, not
individuals.  It should not be difficult to protect individual registrants,
while still allowing the organizations' data to be fully available for the
benefit of all Internet users.

While we concur with all 20 of the recommendations, we have some concern that
the length of the list makes it less likely that any individual recommendation
will be implemented.  Hence we encourage ICANN and the WRT to group the
recommendations by priority.

The very highest priority is #1; creating a single well-defined registrant data
policy.

To support that, to us, the next priorities include #3, providing adequate
support to compliance efforts, #8, creating enforcable contracts and enforcing
them, and #10 and #16, clarifying the roles of privacy and proxy services.

The rest of the recommendation, while important, are less criticial.  We are
not suggesting that lower priority be deferred or wait for higher priorities to
be complete, but rather that ICANN's leadership focus its limited time on the
highest priorities.
--
Neil Schwartzman
Executive Director