ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whoisrt-discussion-paper]

WhoIs Footnote

  • To: <whoisrt-discussion-paper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WhoIs Footnote
  • From: Brendan Stephenson <realmmaster26@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:40:12 +1000

I didn't think of this in the last email but I have a solution for whois
privacy. Give the option to hide the physical address only if they are not a
business or organisation. The provider should have full access to address info
at all times but the public should not.

A postal address can be safely made public with the exception of the personal
physical addresses, which cannot. You are making the assumption that every site
owner is either a business, organisation, or has an address that isn't their
place of residence, which may have worked years ago but is a foolish notion now.

Name, email and phone number are all relatively safe to be made public, but
addresses can only be problematic unless you represent a business, an
organisation, or have a p.o. box.

- Brendan