ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-comments]

Pornography on the internet

  • To: twomey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Pornography on the internet
  • From: "XXXXXXXXXXXXX" <XXXXXXXXXXXX@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:30:19 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I am an addict to pornography. I know it is wrong, and it may destroy the relationship that I am currently in. It has certainly damaged relationships in the past. It is wrong because it is not being faithful to those that I love, and it is wrong because it reduces women to an object or commodity of no value beyond their sexual capacity. I honestly believe that America, with the world's worst divorce rate, has pornography to blame, and those that support and produce this filth would gladly accept such repercussions if it will get more money in their pockets. I've heard recently that you are considering a domain (.xxx) that will be devoted to porn. I have my concerns about this because I'm worried that this will give the pornographers a sense of acceptance in the internet community. I do think that it could have its benefits... but ONLY if ALL pornographers were legally restricted to the .xxx sites and forcibly removed from all other domains. Lingerie stores! would be included here as well. The internet is not currently safe. It is not practical, and in some cases impossible for parents to sit next to their kids and watch them use the internet, and internet monitoring software is very easy to get past. Please do the right thing and help to make pornography avoidable. Let pornographers know that they are not welcome on the internet. If you feel it is that necessary to make the new domain, don't let them exist elsewhere. Freedom of speech should not mean that this country should give up the moral integrity of our future generations. I beg you, please listen and act. This is so very important.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX@XXXXXXX
[Note: sender's name and contact details redacted at sender's request, 18 April 2006, ICANN Webmaster]