ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Opposed to this .xxx application -- we have the cart before the horse

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed to this .xxx application -- we have the cart before the horse
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:12:01 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

ICANN should reject the ICM Registry application for .xxx. Although the
application masquerades as a "sponsored TLD", it doesn't have the broad
support of the adult community that it purports to represent, as can be
seen by the prior comments at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/xxx-tld-agreement/

with major organizations like Flynt Management Group opposing it:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/flynt-to-board-30apr06.jpg

The WHOIS of iffor.org shows that it is registered to the same people
behind the .xxx application, ICM Registry:

http://whois.domaintools.com/iffor.org

Registrant ID:iffor-R
Registrant Name:Lawley Stuart
Registrant Organization:A Technology Company, Inc.
Registrant Street1:53 McKayfield Road

The www.iffor.org website doesn't even list *any* members.

This is a case where we have the cart before the horse. If indeed there
was a consensus amongst recognized adult industry members that a .xxx
TLD is desirable, that would pass the basic test that there is a
legitimate "sponsor". But the current application has things backwards,
wanting the application to be approved first, and then theoretically
building up a sponsoring organization later. Even further, the actual
companies that would be affected by this application (and thus
theoretically the main constituency of that future sponsoring
organization) are actively *opposed* to its creation.

It would be akin to my company applying to run .bank as a sponsored
TLD, and having myself create my own personal "sponsor" for it, totally
ignoring all existing banking institutions and their desires. If
approved, there'd be a windfall of cash for the registry operator,
which is obviously the prime driver of the .xxx application.

In conclusion, while I support the concept of sponsored TLDs as the
main route going forward for new TLDs, this application does not meet
the definition in my opinion, as it lacks a true sponsor that is
representative of industry consensus.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/